主题 : 写作必背单词和短语
级别: 初级博友
显示用户信息 
楼主  发表于: 2015-02-09   
来源于 考博资料 分类

写作必背单词和短语

写作必背单词和短语 -9P2`XQ^  
1. counterproductive  adj.产生相反效果(结果)的 '/0#lF  
e.g.It is counterproductive to betoo tough: it just makes the staff resentful. (J$\-a7<f  
e.g.
Although the speaker overlookscertain circumstances in which undue skepticism might becounterproductive, andeven harmful, on balance I agreethat we should not passively accept whatever is passed off as fact; otherwise, human knowledge would neveradvance. ${~|+zdB  
2. seminal  adj.萌芽的,潜在的;开创性的;有重大影响的 v=Y K8fNi  
e.g.in the seminal state (在萌芽状态)|| seminal thoughts || seminalprinciple(基本原则) ]>##`X  
e.g. a seminal book/poet  || Thisexperiment was to have a seminal influence on his ownpolitical development.
!}TMiCK  
3. forgo  v.放弃 `Y?t@dd  
e.g.The choice to forgohis security is always available, although it might carry unpleasantconsequence. V|Tud  
4. intuition  n.直觉 z,;;=V6 j  
e.g.I will trust my strong intuition that free willis an essential part of our being as humans. ~yJ4qp-  
5. satisfy   v.证明是正当的,公证的;为寻找正当理由 qcB){p+UQ  
e.g.Such action can be satisfied on the grounds of greater efficiency. 9pWy"h$H  
e.g.
In the final analysis, government cannot philosophically satisfyassisting large cities for the purpose of either promoting or preserving thenation's cultural traditions; nor is government assistance necessary towardthese ends. suJ_nb  
6. resort to…    诉诸 8"'x)y  
e.g.thereis no necessity to resort to violent actions such as demonstration, riot orrebel. I\P Bu$Ww  
7. hinge on… 为转移,靠转动 7 l8[xV  
e.g.The claim that society’s destiny hinges on how children aresocialized, while appealing in some respects, is an over-statement at best. =y ]Jl,_.  
8. atbest  最多,充其量;以最乐观的观点来看 6o3T;h  
9. collaborateto … Os),;W0w4  
e.g.For example, scientists, researchers, and even computer programmers must collaborate to establish commongoals, coordinate efforts, and meet time lines. X'sEE  
10. lend somecredence to …  提供支持 vL_zvX A  
e.g.While our everyday experience might lend credence to this assertion. wJ"ev.A)  
e.g. Recent advances in molecular biology and genetics lend some credence to this position, by suggesting thatthese determining physical forces include our own individual genetic makeup.
54p tP  
11. dimension  n.大小;体积;程度;范围 Dk)}|GJ()"  
e.g.a creature of huge dimensions. || I did not realize the dimensions of the problem. 64oxjF)  
e.g. There is a dimension tothe problem that we have not discussed. || various dimensions of humanexperience.
K!{5 [G  
12. detractor  n.损毁者;贬低者 3><u*0qe%I  
13. amount to… 相当于;等于 gy_$#e  
e.g.What you say amounts to adirect accusation. V 2znU  
e.g. Even where a fiction work amountsto pure fantasy, with no historical context, it can still hold morelasting significance than a factual account.
*_hLD5K!  
14. fruition      n.享用, 结果实, 成就, 实现 ;_JH:}j  
e.g.It is the famous few that provide vision of the future, visions which groupsthen bring to fruition. ksI>IW  
e.g. bring one's plans to fruition || After years of hard work, his hopes cametofruition. /0==pLa4  
reap  v.
收获;收割 cy3ww})  
e.g.The consumer reaps rich rewards from thiscompetitive spirit. D5A=,\uk  
15. inspire  v.激励或鼓舞 8[5|_Eh+  
e.g.To begin with, learning about key historical figures inspires us to achieve great things ourselves --- far moreso than learning about the conditions of groups of people. Y(i?M~3\t  
16. providenecessary impetus for … 给与动力 7[o {9Yp&  
e.g.It is almost always a key individual who providethe necessary imputes forwhat otherwise might be a group effort, as discussed below. Q7Ij4  
17. favor  v.赐予;给与 F-0Ud V  
e.g.He was favored with greatintelligence. || adduce facts to favor one’s contention. oh\ ,OW  
18. paradigm  n.样式;典范;范例 [8]m8=n  
e.g. educational paradigms |O (G nsZ  
19. obscure  v.使阴暗;使朦胧 s44iEh=V(I  
e.g.Generally speaking, then, undue attention to the efforts and contributions ofvarious groups tends to obscure thecause and effect relationship with which the study of history is chieflyconcerned. l]5%  
20. takesteps to … 采取措施 :R+],m il  
e.g.take step to help alleviatesocial problems njMLyT($  
21. serveuseful purposes for …  有益于 ?0J0Ij,  
e.g.I agree insofar as some common core curriculum would serve useful purposes for any nation lgT?{,>RkW  
e.g. immediate disclosure would have servedno useful purpose and might even have resulted in mass hysteria.
|~NeB"l{  
22. nascent  adj.初生的 *Mi6  
e.g.in a nascent condition/stage/state || a nascent industry/ literature/art ryEvmWYu  
23. reach a fully informed consensus as to …  对于达成共识 O,9X8$5H-a  
24. unfettered  adj.除去脚镣的;自由而不受约束的 L?f qcW{  
25. irrespectiveof whether … 无论如何 4(m3c<'P  
e.g.While we must invest in research irrespectiveof whether the results might be controversial. +"=~o5k3Q  
26. draw a distinctionbetween … 区分 % +8  
e.g.One useful approach is to draw a distinction between personal morality and publicmorality. ^ wQcB  
27. catalyst  n.催化剂;刺激因素 ~ 7BX@?  
e.g.circumstance often serves as a catalyst for heroism. tJ>d4A;8 x  
28. accountfor …解释原因   lt%-m@#/  
e.g.This combination of very high density of population, goods and services, andmachines, all increasing with almostbrutal speed, does account forsome really antisocial tendenciesin modern urban growth. a}D&$yz2  
29. proviso  n.限制性条款;(附带)条件 bV 7QVu8  
e.g. The carpenter agreed to do the work, with the proviso that he was paid in advance. Na;t#,  
e.g. Aside from the two forgoing provisos, however, I fundamentallydisagree with the speaker’s claim.
f[M"EMy  
30. conversely  adv.相反的 Ib(,P3  
e.g. hold converse opinions. || Without knowledge, we can hardly survivethrough abominable conditions, depending solely on the admiration of the beingsderived from imagination. Conversely, without imagination, wecan as well not possible to get through due to the impediment of knowledge andthe depletion of spiritual asylums. 9jjL9f_3  
31. core values upon which any ( democratic ) society dependsto thrive. 一个社会赖以繁荣的价值核心 .Bijc G  
32. be superior (in …) to … 比更好,更优秀 bgXc_>T6_y  
e.g. this engine is superior in every respect tothat. || whenever moving images are central to an event the video camera issuperior to a written word. XAlD ww  
33. proceeding    n.行动, 进行,会议录, 学报 n(# c`t*  
e.g. legal proceeding || governmentalproceedings Ko}7$2^  
34. thwart  v.反对;妨碍;挫败 [M2Dy{dh  
e.g. the government’s strategies for thwarting specific plansof an international terrorist ora drug trafficker. ?/L1tX)  
35. public panic 公众恐慌 &:,fb]p  
36. unprecedented  adj.空前的,史无前例的  )xbqQW7%0+  
e.g.the society is changing at aspeed which is quite unprecedented. otZ JY)  
37. inexorable  adj. 不可阻挡的;坚持不懈的;无情的 1 pYsjo~  
e.g.Facts are inexorable || the inexorable march of science ";58B} ki  
38. Science is on the march. || the march ofscience/events/time ,P1G ?, y  
39. make great effort 努力; make every effort 尽一切努力; m R"9&wq  
overcome a myriad of politicalimpediments克服政治障碍 lHRK'? Q  
40. a myriad of 无数,数不清 p@`4 Qz  
e.g.Each galaxy contains a myriadof stars. lK 9s0t'  
41. take precedence over … 居先于…;优先于 HKT{IP+7(L  
e.g.This interest might take precedenceover the historic value of an old structure that stands in the way of aparking structure. LIc*tsl  
42. strike a balance among competing interest 1gO//fdI  
43. serve asa substitute for     …取代 g8B&u u #  
be superceded by 
代替;取代 r{c5dQ  
e.g. Pragmatic behavior guarantees survival, whereas idealistic views tend to be superceded by simpler, moreimmediate options.
O{O 9}]6  
44. 源自于: c lq <$-  
emergefrom … in everyage and culture some worthwhile art and literature emerges from the mediocrity. XWJ0=t&}  
stem from …
prevailing attitudes about sexual morality stemfrom the ideas of key religious leaders 1"N/ZKF-x  
spring from… (
this desire to identifyoneself with an exclusive social group seems to spring from some innate psychological need to define one'sself through one's personal associations.) t4*aVHT  
45. 坏影响;负面影响: 9Vh_XBgP  
detrimental effects of …
In politics, the detrimentaleffects of competition are blatant. D]3bwoFo&u  
negative/adverse effects on/to …
QLxXp  
46. 名人  ||bA  
notable figures 4"`=huQ  
celebrity kjQIagw  
elite %l0_PhAB  
personality
television personalities f4qS OVv  
47. 普遍;普及 :"h Pg]'  
prevailing  adj.普遍的;流行的;占优势的 the prevailing view in Western corporate culture|| prevailing principle ixoMccU0  
popular  adj. h/fb<jIP1  
prevalent adj.
The habit of traveling by aircraft is becoming more prevalent  each year. j58Dki->.  
48. 灌输;教育 exGhkt~  
instill  v. Courtesy must be instilled in childhood ||Morality may be instilled intotheir minds lUy*549,  
inculcate  v.
inculcate the young witha sense of duty. !c3Qcva  
impart  v.
A good teacher impartswisdom to his pupils. fbW,0  
foster  v.
养育, 抚育, 培养, 鼓励Frequent cultural exchange will certainly help foster friendly relations between our two universities. ||detect and foster artistic talent. || to foster an interest inmusic 8tG/VE[  
nurture  v.
养育, 给与营养物, 教养 While the speaker mightoverlook the benefits of nurturingcertain emotions and feels, on balance I agree that … y'i:%n}I  
49. 充满;装满 ?kG#qt]Q5  
be laden with … History is laden with unusualclaims || be laden with responsibility 4OB~h]Vc  
be replete with …   
Modern politics isreplete with examples of what most people would consider personalethical fallings "m<eHz]D  
be fraught with …    (a complexissue that is fraught with theproblems of defining ethics, morality, and successful leadership
, . NG.Q4f  
50. 癖性;偏好 ^+Y-=2u:  
idiosyncratic  adj.特性的;癖性的 Given a choice they will pursue their ownidiosyncratic area of interest. H_xQ>~b  
inclination  n.
follow one's own inclination|| I have no inclination to be a doctor. d[qEP6B  
51. 若干重;若干刃 \I`=JKYT  
a double-edged sword 
双刃剑 7o 83|s.Bm  
e.g. This type of advertisement can be adoubt-edged sword, when the product does not make the person “be like”the person in the advertisement, there can be disappointment anddisillusionment with the product. b*F :l#  
a two-edged weapon 
双重武器 {O3oUE+  
e.g. As is so often pointed out, knowledge is atwo-edged weapon which can be used equally for good or evil. DftGy:Ah3  
twofold/threefold/manifold  adj.
双重/三重/多种 6vp8LNSW  
e.g. We have to ask ourselves very seriously what willhappen is this twofold use of knowledge, with its ever-increasing power,continues. bl!f5ROS(  
e.g. The City Council has a manifold plan to beautify the city.
~*Sbn~U  
52. have little bearing on …      无关 3Wtv+L7Br  
e.g. Moreover, assisting large cities would have little bearing on ourdistinct cultural traditions, which abide elsewhere. y9l.i@-  
with respect to…  
关于 <^X'f  
e.g. Personal economic success might be due either toone's investment strategy or to one's work or career. With respect to the former, non-conformists with enough risktolerance and patience invariably achieve more success than conformists. With respect to the latter, while non-conformists aremore likely to succeed in newer industries where markets and technology are inconstant flux, conformists are more likely to succeed in traditional serviceindustries ensconced in systems and regulations. e8ig[:B>+  
53. 先天的,天生的 Y|qixpP  
innate adj.先天的, 天生的 Correct ideas are not innate in the mind, butcome from social practice.[O] acquired  adj.后天习得的 Kr}M>hF+|  
inborn adj.
天生的 an inbornsense of the appropriate || inborn intelligence #Ot*jb1  
54. 利用;有益于 H2pXJ/XF  
conduceto  有助于 g  cK"  
e.g.encouraging students to question and criticize is conducing to thedevelopment of democratic spirits. .8uwg@yD  
be beneficial to … t5B|c<Hb\  
e.g. A national core curriculum would bebeneficial to a nation in a number of respects. O]r3?=  
harness  v.
利用 ek. WuOs  
e.g.The dilemma facing leaders inall areas of life is how to best assess these individuals to determine how tobest harness theircapabilities to reach their ultimate productive capabilities. ?GD? J(S  
take advantage of … -L4G WJ~.-  
make its contribution to …
6+f>XL#w  
55. 消除;减轻 *e"GQd?  
eliminate  v.
排除,消除 eliminate the false andretain the true || eliminate the possibility of= preclude thepossibility of gBiQIhz  
diminish   v.
使减小,使变少 diminish one’sreputation || diminish the cost of production LXfeXWw?,  
undermine     v.
破坏,削弱 formal study of the present culture at theexpanse of studying past cultures can underminethe function of higher education, and ultimately provide a disservice tostudents and to society. &)f++(i  
56. 恶化;加剧 ZT6X4 Z  
exacerbate    v.
恶化, 增剧, 激怒, 使加剧, 使烦恼 E["t Ccg  
e.g. The problems would only be exacerbated were these decisions left exclusively to federalregulators. {s^ryv_}  
e.g. a speech that exacerbated racial tensions || a heavy rainfall that exacerbatedthe flood problems. R{Kd%Y:2Y  
aggravate  v.
Z ow^bzy4  
57. 过度;过分 2WECQl=r  
exorbitant     adj.
过度的;过高的 exorbitant rents || exorbitantlyexpensive || exorbitant amount of money ]! J3?G  
undue  adj.
过度的;过分的 apply undue pressure to make s.b. change his mind hz|z&vyP  
overemphasize v.
uV$d7(N}"  
58. 导致、造成 x^#{2}4u  
pose 引起某事物,造成,提出 64?$TT  
e.g. Winter posesparticular difficulties for the elderly. 1eyyu!  
e.g. However, a common curriculum that is also an exclusive one would pose certain problems. KA{DN!  
render  v.
致使,造成 7<'i#E~  
e.g. Your action has renderedour contract invalid. Ol h%"=*;  
e.g. This trend renders asociety’s members more vulnerable to demagoguery. &EJ,k'7$  
breed  v.
导致;造成 | xI_aYv*  
e.g. The speaker unfairly suggests that large citiesserve as the primary breeding groundand sanctuaries for anation’s cultural traditions. <m gTWv  
e.g. Dirt breeds disease. || Unemployment breeds socialunrest. (
社会不安定 ) . @`*YZq>p  
burgeon  v.
迅速发展;发芽 burgeoning cities || burgeoning Internet commerce n ~i4yn=  
outgrowth  n.
长出, 派出, 结果, 副产物 SK}g(X7IWH  
e.g. A third uniquely contemporary problem is an outgrowthof the inexorable advancement of scientific knowledge. kJpHhAn4  
e.g. Inflation is an outgrowth of war.
0bL=l0N$W  
59. 探求、努力: "8dnFrE  
seek to …
探求,寻求 Z5a@fWU  
e.g. One compelling argument in favor of a global university has to do with thefact that its faculty and students would bring diverse cultural and educationalperspectives to the problems they seek to solve.  jy|xDQ  
strive to …
努力 ~e~Mx=FT0  
e.g. students should strive to excel in the specificrequirements of their major course of study {QkH%jj  
probe       v./n.
探求,探查 ly5L-=Xb  
e.g. probe a matter to the bottom
寻根究底 R:m=HS_  
e.g. Does his/her cultural background allows him/her to freely probethe intricacy of the work?
?G<I N)  
60. 资助、赞助: %= ;K>D  
subsidize  v.资助, 津贴 Subsidizing cultural traditions isnot a proper role of government. "$;:dfrU  
patron  n.
资助人;赞助人 cultural patron V)jhyCL  
on the patronage of … 4DM|OL`w  
e.g. culture has always depended primarily on the patronage of private individuals and businesses. 1c~#]6[  
under the auspices of … iL' ]du<wk  
e.g. During this period, significant scientific advances occurred underthe auspices of the government.
]h$TgX  
61. 增强、提高 $ {eh52)`  
escalate   v.增强,提高,升级 the escalatingcost of addressing these problems t^;Fq{>  
enhance/promote/augment/elevate   v.
  (elevate notion about … Gw,kC{:C  
62. 方法、途径: e2ZUl` {g  
avenue  n.
大街, 方法, 途径, an avenue tosuccess /! G0 g%k  
approach  n.
"g[UX{L  
63. ostensible  adj.表面上的 o-Arfc3Q  
e.g. His ostensible frankness covered adevious scheme. . Dxrc