显示用户信息 
楼主  发表于: 2016-07-14   
来源于 考博试题 分类

中国人民大学 2008 年博士生入学考试英语试题

中国人民大学 2008 年博士生入学考试英语试题
o>WB,i^G  
Part I. Vocabulary (20%) #&zM.O1Q  
21NGsG  
Directions: Choose the best answer (from A, B, C and D) to complete each of the following sentences. Mark your choice with a single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. V"Cx5#\7C  
w`BY>Xft0  
1. Let's give a big _____to tonight's prize-winner. w O H{L  
y7CC5S ?  
 A. respect B. shout S]!s)q-- z  
grD[7;1~:)  
C. praise D. hand *JnY0xP  
X,5}i5'!  
2. It was a depressed and divided country, accustomed to failure and of change. #jrtsv]  
L hp  
 A. definite B. curious o<h2]TN  
(g" {A  
 C. suspicious D. anxious 5Zf^cou  
vEy0DHEE  
3. The secret of the____ of Wal- mart in the retailing industry lies in is single-minded and skillful pantsuit of the lowest prices. M)x6m|.=  
vHJOpQmt~  
 A. unalleviated B, uncombed vYFtw L`  
gB _/(  
 C. unprecedented D. unaccompanied kM6i{{Q  
Ky0}phGRu  
4. Those who got angry and crazy set fire to cars and shops in the Paris suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois, then the problems_____. <OH{7>V  
e{Q;,jsh  
 A. evolved B. evaporated "D\>oFu  
1d$qr`  
 C. escalated D, exalted sX@}4[)<&  
p< Y-b,&  
5. The supervisor, his explanation when his fault was pointed out by some  talented young students. LC1WVK/  
>jU25"XI[  
 A. stumbled over B. got over Iuyq!R4:7  
z*a-=w0  
 C. dashed to D. gave out &k@\k<2Ia  
LR "=(  
6, it is evident that no one, no matter how much they _____ is immunity from the effect of advertising. {|d28!8w  
kYhV1I  
 A, refuse B. reflect )/t&a$[  
l k sNy  
 C. proclaim D. protest TU6(Q,Yi|  
$@D*/@  
7. "It's probably just stress." How many times have you uttered those words to yourself to____ a headache, pain or illness? r|63T%q!  
sYq:2Wn>8Q  
 A. dismiss B. dispose 3'Hz,qP  
ZEp>~dn;  
 C. dispel D. disrupt *HsA.W~2W  
+/[L-&,  
8. Schools and colleges have no right to use our public money to promote conduct that is _____to the religious and moral values of parents and taxpayers. { 2%'=v  
p[O\}MAd#  
 A. conducive B. comparable ~<.{z]*O  
1COSbi]  
 Caponizing D. offensive n $lVmQ6  
:GN++\ 1pw  
9. The old farmer his wife, living until 105 years of age. 74 W Ky  
=9V o[  
 A. beat B. survived 04WxV(fo'  
G|*&owJ  
 C. lasted D. endured MgP&9  
d A'0'M  
10. He didn't know anything about business, so starting his own was______ 27+~!R~Yw  
o!ZG@k?#  
. A. a climb to power B. a leap in the dark <-mhz`^  
G!`PP  
 C. a run on the bank D. a step backwards K_AdMXF9  
o[1#)&  
11. Public attitudes toward business regulations are deeply _______ most people resent intensive government rules, yet they expect government to prevent business from defrauding, exploiting the public. .p]r S =#  
bSz@@s.  
 A. hostile B. emotional F @<h:V VP  
obGhO  
 C. ambiguous D. cynical <$@I*xk[  
73 4t  
12. Ever since the TV show came off the air, there has been _______ that a movie might be made of the show. Finally in autumn 2007, news broke that filming had started. 1 {5t.  
d&+0JI<  
 A. specification B. suspicion [!>9K}z,=  
W mbIz[un  
 C. simulation D. speculation FW5v 1s=  
Q lA?dXQ  
 13. A quick wit and a warm smile were the salesman's stock______. J>k 6`gw  
j74hWz+p4  
 A. in trade B. in reserve m[(_fOd  
:<s`)  
 C. in effect D. in business yf;TIh%)=  
ij|>hQC5i  
 14. Innovative product platforms like the portable transistor radio and the_____ walkman the digital lifestyle era. mBJr*_p  
jV9oTH-  
 A. set the Stage for B. shed light on BVj(Q}f8  
 sa&`CEa  
 C. made sense of D. gave a hand to : 8j7}'  
Xtfs)"  
 15. Successful imitation, far from being symptomatic of a lack of _____, is the first step in learning to be creative. \gkhSL q  
a|= ^   
 A. resolution B. elegance ^-Ygh[x  
S6_:\Q  
 C. aspiration D. originality mhX66R  
cC>Svf[CzK  
Rzh.zvxTp  
16. Our parents love us because we are their children, and this is an fact. so that we feel safer with them than with anyone else. "&/2 @  
$/|) ,n  
 A. unambiguous B. uncontrollable @&E IH,c  
K6 >\4'q  
 C. unalterable D. unintentional @MB)B5  
AoOA.t6RVo  
17. As a journalist Hemingway trained himself in of expression. His deliberate avoidance of very attractive adjectives is some of the traces of his early journalistic practices. enZZ+|h  
,c  ^nW  
 A. economy B. elegance ypG*41  
0+$gR~^^  
 C. depth D. neatness kE .4 #  
#=S^i[K/  
18. It is the vast number of irresponsible dog owners which has roused public and demands for tighter controls. s[y.gR.(  
{QylNC9  
 A. obsession B. apprehension :>;F4gGVG  
LtX53c  
 C. exclamation D. indignation  >(ip-R  
Q8AAu&te7  
19. Talking to children about the death of others is a subject that adults_____away from very strongly. zD<W`_z  
@`C'tfG /4  
 A. shy B. stay 7+hF1eoI  
TUC)S&bC  
 C. slip D. skip [8IO0lul+  
d[p2? ]  
20. That's all fight, it is better to the feeling than to let it build up. [bP^ RY:  
pKy4***I3  
 A. displace B. disarm 9l &q}  
:,aY|2si  
 C. discharge D. dispatch !pw )sO~  
f+uyO7  
21. Many people are to insect bites, and some even have to go to hospital.  *0^~@ U  
 jK]1X8  
A. insensitive B. allergic C. sensible D. infected :M6v<Kg{;  
`}#rc DK  
22. When you're driving on a motorway, you must obey the signs telling you to get into the right ___ /CNsGx%%  
.cQO?UKK  
A. way B. track C. road D. lane G/Sp/I<d  
v;o1c44;  
23. The motorist had to ____ to avoid knocking the old woman down in the middle of the road. 2.niB>  
} #H,oy;Dz  
A. swerve B. twist C. depart D. swing 8CZfz !2  
?PMbbqa0  
24. In winter drivers have trouble stopping their cars from on icy roads. 3PU_STSix  
A5yVxSF  
A. skating B. skidding C. sliding D. slipping pvyEs|f=%  
WSH[*jMA  
25. This project would __ a huge increase in defense spending. H)D|lt5xy  
K9k!P8Rd  
A. result B. assure C. entail D. accomplish x5Lbe5/P  
b+|Jw\k  
26. The chances of a repetition of these unfortunate events are ___ indeed. 6(`N!]e*L  
nTr%S&<+"  
A. distant B. slim C. unlikely D. narrow Qs,\P^n  
~hvj3zC5xz  
27. We should make a clear ___ between "competent" and "proficient" for the purposes of our discussion. ?lsK?>uU  
)C8^'*!  
A. separation B. division C. distinction D. difference (46'#E z[F  
 *XhlIQ  
28. In the present economic we can make even greater progress than previously. uxU-N  
1WMZ$vsQUb  
A. air B. mood C. area D. climate  Ol }5ry  
j;-Wf6h{  
29. Rite of Passage is a good novel by any standards__ it should rank high on any list of science fiction. 0#J~@1Gf  
Z\IM~-  
A. consistently B. consequently C. invariably D. fortunately C{J5:ak  
'lZlfS:Z8  
30. The diversity of tropical plants in the region represents a seemingly source of raw materials, of which only a few have been utilized. L K #A  
_k2R^/9Ct%  
A. exploited B. controversial C. inexhaustible D. remarkable 2O=$[b3  
]AY 4bm  
31. his expenditure on holidays and luxuries is rather high in to his income. ..8t1+S6]  
S!8<|WO^t  
A. comparison B. proportion C. association D. calculation .Od:#(aq  
~DK.Y   
32. Although he has become rich, he is still very of his money. b \}a   
V|'@D#\  
A. economic B. thrifty C. frugal D. careful \|Af26  
%]LoR$|Y  
33. As the manager was away on a business trip, I was asked to the weekly staff DS(>R!bb  
meeting. | M7C=z='  
gtuSJ+up  
A. preside B. introduce C. chair D. dominate zq</(5H  
fYP,V0P  
34. The of the word is unknown, but it is certainly not from Greek. 8`*5[ L~~/  
u* pQVU  
A. origin B. generation C. descent D. cause lu{ *]!  
oYw?kxRZ  
35. The hook was a work of such that it took 20 years to write. ">Qxb.Y}  
vb~%u;zrC@  
A. magnitude B. extent C. degree D. amount )W\ )kDh!  
viG=Ap.Th  
36. The police have offered a large for information leading to the robber's arrest. R9A:"sJ  
pA.orx  
A. award B. compensation C. prize D. reward 6Mc&=}bV  
t[!,puZc#  
37. I arrived at the airport so late that I missed the plane. D/=05E%[81  
#eKKH]J/  
A. only B. quite C. narrowly D. seldom }` 3-  
;b [>{Q;  
38. The popularity of the film shows that the reviewers' fears were completely ___. wBpt W2jA  
%t&Lq }e  
A. unjustified B. unjust C. misguided D. unaccepted l^R:W#*+U  
-J63'bb7oi  
39. The head of the Museum was ___ and let us actually examine the ancient manuscripts. A/=cGE  
P7}w^#x  
A. promising B. agreeing C. pleasing D. obliging k`>qb8,  
3)VO{C j!  
40. The multi-national corporation was making a take-over ___ for a property company. )b nGZ8h99  
qsp3G7\'=  
A. application B. bid C. proposal D. suggestion ;,U@zB;\%(  
Eo$l-Hl5=  
Part II. Reading Comprehension (30%) <tTNtBb  
o Rk'I  
Directions: Read the following passages and then choose the best answer (from A, xqk(id\&  
B,C and D) to complete each of the following sentences. Mark your choice with a Jy:@&c  
single bar across the square brackets on your Machine-scoring Answer Sheet. Cx aI@+  
= z5=?  
Passage one N''xdz3Z  
rMG[,:V  
Many of the home electric goods which are advertised as liberating the modern ui8$F "I*  
woman tend to have the opposite effect, because they simply change the nature of C,;<SV2#  
work instead of eliminating it. Machines have a certain novelty value, like toys for A["6dbvv  
adults. It is certainly less tiring to put clothes in a washing machine, but the time uu4! e{K  
saved does not really amount to much: the machine has to be watched, the clothes ~*h)`uM  
have to be carefully sorted out first, stains removed by hand, buttons pushed and Q +hOW-  
water changed, clothes taken out, aired and ironed. It would be more liberating to + ,]&&  
pack it all off to a laundry and not necessarily more expensive, since no capital DDIRJd<J  
investment is required. Similarly, if you really want to save time you do not make Nc6y]eGz  
cakes with an electric mixer, you buy one in a shop. If one compares the image of the or ~@!  
woman in the women's magazine with the goods advertised by those periodicals, one im>/$!&OyI  
realizes how useful a projected image can be commercially. A careful balance has to 7 HL Uk3  
be struck: if you show a labor-saving device, follow it up with a complicated recipe OvdBUcp[  
on the next page; on no account hint at the notion that a woman could get herself a job, BB,-HhYT0  
but instead foster her sense of her own usefulness, emphasizing the creative aspect of 4cm~oZ  
her function as a housewife. So we get cake mixes where the cook simply adds an egg jz'%(6#'gW  
herself, to produce .. that lovely home-baked. flavor the family love" , and knitting y54RD/`-  
patterns that can be made by hand, or worse still, on knitting machines, which became V'.gE6we  
tremendously fashionable when they were first introduced. Automatic cookers are z xv y&  
advertised by pictures of pretty young mothers taking their children to the park, not by pOy(XUV9O  
professional women presetting the dinner before leaving home for work. %RIu'JXi  
pdQaVe7tRo  
41. According to the passage, many of the home electric goods which are supposed to 2#`d:@r  
liberate women ,^iT,MgNNf  
qk&BCkPT  
A. remove unpleasant aspects of housework. {dl@ #T u  
' wLW`GX.  
B. save the housewife very little time. W70BRXe04D  
iee`Yg!EOH  
C. save the housewife's time but not her money. 8r.MODZG/  
$iy(+}  
D. have absolutely no value for the housewife. [di&N!Ao  
S@L%X<Vm  
42. According to the context, "capital investment" refers to money >vfLlYx  
b!;WF  
A. spent on a washing machine. B. borrowed from the bank. Z!?T&:  
Mb%[Qp60  
C. saved in the bank. D. lent to other people." su=]gE@  
1N8YD .3  
43. The goods advertised in women's magazines are really meant to SkXx: @  
i\L7z)u  
A. free housewives from housework. B. encourage housewives to go out to `? f sU  
work. w4&-9[@Y  
f2$<4H hmm  
C. turn housewives into excellent cooks. D. give them a false sense of fulfillment. IC.R4-  
u7u1lx>S  
44. The example of automatic cookers in the end supports that the home electric  YP}r15P  
goods ___ u z>V  
Z5>}  
A. completely liberate the modem woman B. only change the nature of work ]O68~+6  
nqujT8  
C. indeed eliminate the tedious work D. actually have novelty value 3n TpL#  
+?[iB"F  
45. From this passage, we can infer that the writer is ___ about the home electric '~Gk{'Nx"  
goods for liberating the modem women. oth=#hfU^  
6~(iLtd#  
A. opponent B. pessimistic C. happy D. concerned \E:l E/y  
Ds%~J  
Passage two \M-$|04Qt  
wo!;Bxo N  
The "standard of living" of any country means the average person's share of the _;5N@2?  
goods and services which the country produces. A country's standard of living, 'ZQR@~G  
therefore, depends first and foremost on its capacity to produce wealth. "Wealth" in lF1ieg"i M  
this sense is not money, for we do not live on money but on things that money can EY 9N{  
buy:" goods" such as food and clothing, and "services" such as transport and en- SSI('6Z/  
tertainment. |zSoA=7?  
+LAjh)m  
A country's capacity to produce wealth depends upon many factors, most f)f GGwHz]1L  
which have an effect on one another. Wealth depends to a great extent upon a ~C2[5r{So  
country's natural resources, such as coal, gold, and other minerals, water supply and ns1@=f cO  
so on. Some regions of the world are well supplied with coal and minerals, and have a 5;-?qcb^w  
fertile soil and a favorable climate; other regions possess none of them. )OcG$H NK  
Kf7v_T /  
Next to natural resources comes the ability to turn them to use. Some countries -J=N  
are perhaps well off in natural resources, but suffered for many years from civil and #>\+6W 17U  
external wars, and for this and other reasons have been unable to develop their 'xY@ I`x  
resources. Sound and stable political conditions, and freedom from foreign invasion, ; X3bgA']  
enable a country to develop its natural resources peacefully and steadily, and to gcf EJN4'  
produce more wealth than another country equally well served by nature but less well K2R[u#Q  
ordered. Another important factor is the technical efficiency of a country's people. pI|H9  
Industrialized countries that have trained numerous skilled workers and technicians UA}oOteG  
are better placed to produce wealth than countries whose workers are largely d4zqLD$A  
unskilled. %@d~)f  
:X6A9jmd  
A country's standard of living does not only depend upon the wealth that is #e8NF,H5  
produced and consumed within its own borders, but also upon what is indirectly )FrXD3 p  
produced through international trade. For example, Britain's wealth in foodstuffs and o!+jPwEU  
other agricultural products would be much less if she had to depend only on those lx&ME #~  
grown at home. Trade makes it possible for her surplus manufactured goods to be \WeGO.i-  
traded abroad for the agricultural products that would otherwise be lacking. A yr /p3ys  
country's wealth is, therefore, much influenced by its manufacturing capacity, h[O!kwE  
provided that other countries can be found ready to accept its manufactures. D'823,-).  
lU<n Wf  
46. The standard of living in a country is determined by #Mz N7  
jpCQ2XD:  
A. its goods and services. B. the type of wealth produced. 85fBKpEe  
x-_!I>l&  
C. how well it can create wealth. D. what an ordinary person can share. _YH)E^If  
{AY `\G  
47. A country's capacity to produce wealth depends on all the factors EXCEPT `"E|  
Iz#h:O  
A. people's share of its goods. B. political and social stability. h.6yI  
U9KnW]O%"  
C. qualities of its workers. D. use of natural resources. 9* %Uoy:  
zA![c l>$  
48. According to the passage, ___ play an equally important role in determining a  0FHX  
country's standard of living. $e! i4pM  
$siiG|)C1  
A. farm products B. industrial goods 8yH) 8:w  
}cll? 2  
C. foodstuffs D. export & import {}ZQK  
X }yEMe{T  
49. The manufacturing capacity may be a key factor to a higher standard of living J0}OmNTzD  
when one country @Zs}8YhC  
h!f7/) |[o  
A. has traded her manufacture. B. has established her wealth. 7:1c5F~M  
e/WR\B'1  
C. has been an industrialized one D. has produced surplus manufactured goods i8nCTW  
?EeHeN_  
Passage three }Y5Sf"~M  
,c6ID|\  
 How we look and how we appear to others probably worries us more when we P'Jw:)k(  
are in our teens or early twenties than at any other time in our life. Few of us are :<s)QD  
content to accept ourselves as we are, and few are brave enough to ignore the trends Od'!v &  
of fashion. er}/~@JJ  
]7 ROCJ;  
Most fashion magazines or TV advertisements try to persuade us that we should _.Y?BAQ  
dress in a certain way or behave in a certain manner. If we do, they tell us, we will be ab tAkf  
able to meet new people with confidence and deal with every situation confidently QhK]>d.  
and without embarrassment. Changing fashion, of course, does not apply just to dress. fw_V'l#\  
A barber today does not cut a boy's hair in the same way as he used to, and girls do 2_0OSbFv'P  
not make up in the same way as their mothers and grandmothers did. The advertisers q]tPsX5{*  
show us the latest fashionable styles and we are constantly under pressure to follow Xi5ZQo!t  
the fashion in case our friends think we are odd or dull. {3C~cK{  
HW{osav9  
What causes fashions to change? Sometimes convenience or practical necessity )k3zOKZ;  
or just the fancy of an influential person can establish a fashion. Take hats, for w1aa5-aF  
example. In cold climates, early building were cold inside, so people wore hats zHr1FxD  
indoors as well as outside. In recent times, the late President Kennedy caused a Ud :v3"1  
depression in the American hat industry by not wearing hats: more American men 'uBW1,  
followed his example. ?DkMzR)u  
H__9%p#  
There is also a cyclical pattern in fashion. In the 1920s in Europe and America, [X=-x=S,  
short skirts became fashionable. Meter World War II , they dropped to ankle length. j"/i+r{"E  
Then they got shorter and shorter until the miniskirt was in fashion. Meter a few more `Rfhxz I  
years, skirts became longer again. ]~)FMWQz-  
/_?Ly$>'  
Today, society is much freer and easier than it used to be. It is no longer necessary to '6fMF#X4F  
dress like everyone else. Within reason, you can dress as you like or do your hair the mT>56\63  
way you like instead of the way you should because it is the fashion. The popularity 7f'9Dm`  
of jeans and the "untidy" look seems to be a reaction against the increasingly yEy } PCJ&  
expensive fashions of the top fashion houses. uE-~7Q(@  
^x4I  
At the same time, appearance is still important in certain circumstances and then v$w!hYsQ  
we must choose our clothes carefully. It would be foolish to go to an interview for. a \Zqgr/.w/  
job in a law firm wearing jeans and a sweater; and it would be discourteous to visit KDuM;  
some distinguished scholar looking as if we were going to the beach or a night club. S-npJh 6  
However, you need never feel depressed if you don't look like the latest fashion photo. &n6mXFF#>P  
Look around you and you'll see that no one else does either! r@H<@Vuc  
uY,&lX+!  
50. The author thinks that people are Xp{+){Iu  
*;(LKRV  
A. satisfied with their appearance. ATv.3cy   
qXkc~{W_  
B. concerned about appearance in old age. 0~H (GG$VH  
OO] ~\j  
C. far from neglecting what is in fashion. N' t*eCi  
@U_w:Q<9u  
D. reluctant to follow the trends in fashion. MZB0vdx  
}L{en  
51. Fashion magazines and TV advertisements seem to link fashion to @ O5-w  
.ZFs+8 qU>  
A. confidence in life. B. personal dress. }>=k!l{  
K~5QL/=1  
C. individual hair style. D. personal future. 7Kn Z  
:;t*:iG  
52. According to the passage, changing fashions reflected in all of the following
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水

描述
快速回复

验证问题:
免费考博网网址是什么? 正确答案:freekaobo.com